OKAY TERRIFIC

Def: o'kay ter'ri'fic: 1.common expression of muted astonishment due to being surrounded by amazing stupidity, without quite knowing what else to say. 2.expression that usually precedes the changing of a subject brought up by an individual who is perfectly clueless to anything or anyone outside their own narcissistic corner of the universe. Origin: Unknown

Name:
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey, United States

Steven Hill is the author of the independently published A VOICE ABOVE THE DIN, available at www.lulu.com/holbrookhill, or Amazon or B&N.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Independent Artist of the Month Award

I'm sick and tired of awesome unsung artists remaining that way. There's nothing worse than a great artist who's never recognized by the masses, (other than the fact that I get to feel like they are all mine because I discovered them when I really didn't). So I've decided that every once in a while I'm going to feature a spotlight on an independent artist, shunned by the mainstream, who deserves a little notice. Not that a mention on my blog will make them a household name, but ... since I've published my book let's just say I have a lot more respect for artists who not only create but then have to market as well. It ain't easy! The artist I nominate may be a musician, an author, or an ... um, artist. Doesn't matter. As long as they are producing some kind of worthwhile art that I enjoy, I will feature them.

So without further ado, my first nomination for Independent Artist of the Month is: MICHAEL MCDERMOTT. Click the link and check out his website. If you go to CD BABY, you can sample his music.

Michael is singer/songwriter out of Chicago who truly deserves more recognition than he's gotten. I can best sum his work up as a cross between Springsteen, Dylan, and a little U2 thrown in. He truly is a lyricist in the tradition of Springsteen and Dylan, even Jakob Dylan. You might remember the splash he made back in 1991 with his debut CD "620 West Surf", which I happen to think is one of the greatest CDs I've ever heard. Funny story, I originally had the album on cassette back when it came out (there's always a little lag time for me when it comes to technology) and a few years later I came upon my baby daughter playing with it and pretty much tearing it to pieces. I was heartbroken 'cause I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. I was ecstatic when I found Michael's website a few years after that and promptly bought the CD for a mere $10. Kudos to Michael McDermott for continueing to pump out great music with fascinating lyrics, while the world doesn't stop to take notice. Maybe now they will.

Come back next month for a new nomination. Hint, it will be another musician.

If you have someone you want to nominate, give me a holler. No guarantees they'll make it on the blog, though.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counter