OKAY TERRIFIC

Def: o'kay ter'ri'fic: 1.common expression of muted astonishment due to being surrounded by amazing stupidity, without quite knowing what else to say. 2.expression that usually precedes the changing of a subject brought up by an individual who is perfectly clueless to anything or anyone outside their own narcissistic corner of the universe. Origin: Unknown

Name:
Location: Bergen County, New Jersey, United States

Steven Hill is the author of the independently published A VOICE ABOVE THE DIN, available at www.lulu.com/holbrookhill, or Amazon or B&N.

Friday, January 27, 2006

The Pain of Retraction

Okay, so Oprah made a retraction and blasted James Frey and that icky publisher of his. (Personally, I think she should've revoked his book as one of her picks, but that's just my opinion and last I checked she didn't give a damn about my opinion.) Boy, she really had an opportunity there to put the screws to the publishing corporati, but unfortunately backed off a little too much for my taste. (I'll let you in on a little secret, those scoundrels hang on every recommendation of hers like a life preserver. Wasted opportunity if you ask me.)

So I guess that means I have to make a retraction about my rant on Oprah. (See below.) But I don't really want to do it to be honest with you. 'Cause it kinda hurts to make a retraction. I don't want to admit I was wrong about her - well, I wasn't really - it's just that now my visceral mudslinging in her general direction makes me look like the bad guy. Thanks alot Oprah, for finding your conscience! Ugh!

Why does life have to be so complicated? Can't we just keep fiction fiction and non-fiction non-fiction? They all have their respective places on the bookshelf. Geez, can't we all just get along?

Anyway, Oprah, if your sorry for allowing yourself to be duped by that narcissistic liar and for -almost - single-handedly destroying an entire genre of the publishing industry, then I'm sorry I outed you. Okay? Friends again? Good, I'll be over tomorrow night for dinner. Know any good reads?

Okay Terrific.

Steve

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Hit Counter